For the last 2 years, I’ve worked on being a positive person. I’ve learned that staying positive is a daily task! Each day, you’ll find that there are different things that will affect you daily, but by intentionally and strategically being positive, you will see that eventually it won’t be hard for you to stay positive and happy, without even trying!
Here are a few tips, I’ve learned along this journey:
1. Start your day positive.
You have to literally wake up everyday, determined and intentional about how your day is going to be. Starting your day with positivity helps set the tone for how your day will go. If you wake up and think, no matter what happened yesterday or what will happen today, I know today is going to be a good day, it will be.
2. Listen to something positive first thing in the morning.
Each morning, find YouTube videos or podcasts that you can listen to each morning to get your day started on a high note. I literally woke up each morning and listened to the same YouTube videos, over and over and over again, each morning until I could literally repeat every word from the videos, lol. Literally just search ‘inspirational speech’ or ‘motivational video’ and there are so many that will come up! Here are a few that I love:
- Dream – Motivational Video
- Why Do We Fall – Motivational Video
- Claim Your Dream – Denzel Washington
- What Are You Reaching For – Sade Burrell
- Guru Story – Eric Thomas
- It’s Not Over Until I Win – Les Brown
3. Keep positive thoughts, posts, and quotes nearby.
After listening to positive speeches and videos, there were so many quotes and positive thoughts that came out of each of them. I created a ‘quote journal,’ that I use to keep track of positive quotes and thoughts. I go to this journal regularly because I’m always adding more quotes, but I also go back over old quotes to refresh my positivity radar, lol. I also have sticky notes that I keep near my computer and on my way to remind me to stay positive. I’ve found that writing them down isn’t enough, I have to put them somewhere so that I can look at them regularly! This really helps me a lot! And this is also extremely fun to look at. (Check out my DIY post: 4 Easy DIY Blog). I also find lots of great quotes from books that I read and I keep them in my journal as well. You can always search for positive or inspirational quotes. There are so many out there for so many different topics! Keep them fresh and search for different things that work for you each day or for specific situations. I.e. happy quotes, morning quotes, success quotes, love quotes, friendship quotes, self love quotes, Oprah Winfrey quote-just to name a few. Here are a few of my favorites:
- When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you achieve it. -Paulo Coelho
- The only way to do great work is to love what you do. -Steve Jobs
- You don’t get out of life what you want, you get out of life who you are.
- The biggest adventure you can take, is to live the life of your dreams. -Oprah Winfrey
- Don’t cry to give up, cry to keep going. -Eric Thomas
- Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire.
- If you can’t stop thinking about it, don’t stop working for it.
- You become what you believe.
- Anything could happen.
4. Find positive affirmations to live by daily.
Finding words and affirmations to live by will help you encourage and motivate yourself. Find things you believe in and stick to them! It’s kind of like the power pose thing. I once heard that standing in a super hero position and saying positive things to yourself, actually increases your confidence! You can literally search positive affirmations, use the quotes you find, and take them in. Seriously. When you find an affirmation that you love and believe in, take it in and believe in what it means for you and your life. This has helped me stay positive and focus on my own goals and dreams. Here are a few I like:
- Today is going to be a good day.
- You can do anything you set your mind to.
- The world is yours.
- I’m happy, healthy, strong.
- This is my life and I can ANYTHING with it.
- I am beautiful, confident, and happy.
5. Find positive people to be around.
We all know people who really don’t have anything positive to say, ever! I’ve been that person at time, lol. So I know how easy it is to fall into the negativity trap, but this is no good when you’re trying to be positive. I’ve had to let friends go, stop communicating with certain family members, and even avoid certain functions. Happiness and peace is something you control and create! Sometimes we can’t identify when other people aren’t being positive, because we too are negative. But when you get to a place where you notice that the people around you don’t really bring the best out of you or haven’t contributed to your happiness or positivity, you need to leave those people alone. You don’t have to break off your friendships, but you may want to learn to distance yourself or redirect the conversation-(I could-and I might-write an entire blog on friendship)-The point is, the way you think and behave is often a direct influence of the people around you, so as you’re moving towards being a more positive person, be sure to find people with the same mission!
6. Speak, think, see, and BE positive.
Embody positivity in everything you do! Speak positively, put your positive thinking caps on, and see positivity in everyone. When you surround yourself with positivity, eventually you really start to become a positive person. Just BE POSITIVE! It sounds simple, because it kind of is. Just make the choice, everyday, to be positive. When you focus on being a more positive person, eventually you will start to exude and really become a positive person. You start being known as a positive person.
7. End your day with gratitude. I find that ending my day grateful and happy with all that life has given me that day, has really helped me appreciate life, no matter what happens. Life is not always going to be easy. There will certainly be days when you want to scream, cry, kick, and maybe even give up. But I find that if I decide to find good things in everything, I am more happy throughout the day, because I am constantly thinking of the good that comes from a situation. When I end my day with gratitude, it opens the door to starting the day with positivity.